Monday 27 January 2014

Isn't it great what average people can do.............

It is pretty amazing to see every day what can be achieved by us average people when we put our mind to it. In April 2012 Dawn and her daughter Winter started on their challenge to break the world record for the first mother and daughter team to run a marathon on all 7 continents. They achieved it at the end of 2013 and in so doing Dawn became the youngest runner to attain the accomplishment. http://womensrunning.competitor.com/2013/11/inspiration/14-year-old-girl-runs-a-marathon-on-every-continent_18210
We don't all manage such acts of courage and physical strength but everyday I am inspired by the quiet athletes I see on the London commuter routes - running and cycling to and from work, quietly getting on with their sport. Often they are doing good as they get fit http://www.goodgym.org/
I am in Oslo this weekend and while checking out the city by tram saw hundreds of local people getting on and off the tram with their cross country skis, just heading off for a little route before lunch - all very normal but I know how tough that sport is having failed at it several times.
So while my challenges are small, they are great to me and push sport into the middle of my everyday as a normal activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment