Saturday 4 January 2014

.......and we are off!

My first event of my challenge this year - The Hangover 5 on January 1st was cancelled due to extreme weather conditions. These guys have obviously never run in West Cork. The great action pledges you guys made on my TheDoNation page  http://www.thedonation.org.uk/doers/sinead-brophy/half-way-one-hundred-challenge meant I had to find an alternative quickly to hold up my end of our bargain. Thankfully the good people of http://www.nice-work.org.uk/ decided to run their planned annual Lamberhurst New Years Day 10k off road run, assuring me the forecast was dry for the race. Race went ahead as they said except off-road changed to on road due to flooding and it was wet beyond rain.

Despite wearing off road trainers for an on road race and getting wetter than I have ever done before I managed a PB (personal best for the uninitiated) of 55min and 16 seconds (apparently the seconds matter). I came 17th out of 53 women runners and placed overall 86 out of 136. I am happy with that and was delighted to see so many women out there - loads more did the 5k so The Women's Sport and Fitness Foundation will be pleased  http://www.wsff.org.uk/about

The race was two rounds of a 5k route with most competitors choosing the 5k race option, through pretty Lamberhurst Village and grounds of Scotney castle. As I watched the 5k runners cross the finish line, being weary and very wet, I have to confess I was tempted to slope off for a 5k finishers medal, But as it was a 'challenge' I couldn't give up. Mince pie and sniff of Scotch awaited us all BUT as my DoNation pledge involves no more cakes or pastries; my New Year resolution is to give up the drink and I would be dienfranchised as citizen of Irish Republic if I drank scotch I settled for tea.

Photographic evidence of both my efforts and of my support team being so put off by the rain they refused to leave the car to even take a photograph.

Now back to training for next event on 8th February - details to follow.................

No comments:

Post a Comment